No-Egg Scrambled Egg
Here's a great quick & simple vegan scrambled egg recipe that goes well with a cooked breakfast but can also be used in other recipes such as no-egg egg-fried rice. It's great for vegans but also for people looking to reduce their dietary fat intake. If you'd said to me five years ago that tofu would be one of my favourite foods I would have laughed at you but these days it's an essential in my kitchen. Even so, I was rather hesitant to try it as a breakfast item at first, particularly with the turmeric, but it really is surprisingly very good both in texture and taste.
- One pack of silken tofu
- 1-2 teaspoons of turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon kala namak himalayan black salt (optional)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Empty the pack of tofu onto a plate lined with kitchen roll to soak up some of the moisture, the more moisture you remove now, the faster it'll cook.
- Break up the tofu and spread it out, this will assist in removing more of the moisture.
- Transfer to a bowl & add the turmeric, salt, & pepper and if you're using it, the kala namak which will give the tofu an eggy flavour. If it's your first time, maybe try 1 teaspoon of the turmeric at first - you can always add more to taste as you cook. Tip to remember - cooking will bring the yellow colour right out so don't assume that it being fairly pale means you need to add a boatload more turmeric!
- Place in a non-stick pan over a medium heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally until all the moisture has evaporated. How long exactly you cook for is down to personal taste. If you like your scrambled eggs quite creamy, you'll probably want to cook it for less time than if you prefer it firmer in texture.
- Serve with your breakfast which for me this morning was vegan sausages & baked beans.