Houmous! Houmous! Houmous!
Simple, delicious, and very cheap to make, it's well worth making this vegan staple yourself as you can tweak the recipe to make it exactly how you like it.
- 400g/1 can of ready cooked chickpeas, washed & drained
- 2 teaspoons of tahini
- 1 large lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 handful of fresh coriander leaves
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon of sesame seeds
- Place most of the chickpeas in a bowl (if using a stick blender or masher), or food processor, leaving a few to one side to use as a garnish
- Add the tahini, lemon juice, half the olive oil, garlic, coriander, and salt and mix well
- Blend until smooth
- Have a taste, adding more lemon juice, garlic, and/or salt if needed
- Transfer to a serving dish, garnishing with the remaining chickpeas, olive oil, sesame seeds and a sprig of coriander/parsley
- Serve as you wish - personally I love it with falafel in a a homemade bun or wrap