Sweet spiced seitan skewers

One of the things I thought I'd miss on becoming vegan was BBQs - because mistakenly I believed that without meat, there'd be little I could eat other than vegetable skewers (don't get me wrong, they're great, but it seems a bit OTT to get the BBQ going just to toast a few peppers and mushrooms).  I never needed to worry though, there are sooooo many vegan BBQ, including this one I'm about to share with you - sweet spiced seitan skewers.  Now try saying that after a glass or two of Pimms!


This recipe is pretty quick to make but you can always prepare it in advance and stick it in the fridge if you have guests coming over.  

Ingredients
  • Approx 250g of seitan (I used GranoVita mock duck which comes in a 285g tin) 
  • 1-2 chillies
  • Handful of coriander leaves
  • 1 teaspoon of grated ginger
  • 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon of maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon of rice vinegar or similar 
  • 1 teaspoon of sesame seeds
  • Skewers
Recipe
  1. If using bamboo skewers, pop them in water to soak to help prevent them burning 
  2. Chop the seitan into 1/2 inch thick pieces - don't worry too much about uniformity
  3. Chop the chillies and coriander leaves
  4. Place the seitan, chillies, coriander, and ginger into a bowl
  5. Add the liquid ingredients and sesame seeds 
  6. Mix well then leave to soak for 15-20 minutes 
  7. Place onto skewers in desired portions
  8. Spoon any left over mixture over the skewers 
  9. Grill & eat!  



Comments

Popular Posts