Pasta Arrabbiata

This fiery simple dish has long been one of my favourite ways to eat pasta, ever since my stint managing a pasta restaurant and kitchen when I was younger (than I'd care to remember ;) ).  It's so simple to make and works well as a big bowl all by itself and also as an accompaniment.


Ingredients (serves 3-4)

  • 3 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 3 chillies, finely chopped 
  • 400g can of chopped tomatoes
  • Splash of olive oil
  • Salt & pepper, to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon of sugar/maple syrup
  • 400g of dried penne or rigatoni pasta
Recipe
  1. In a large flat-bottomed pan, heat the chillies and garlic in a little oil
  2. Cook the chillies and garlic until the garlic begins to go transparent 
  3. Add a splash of water to the pan if necessary to prevent the ingredients from burning
  4. Add the chopped tomatoes, pinch of salt, and mix well
  5. Bring almost to the boil, then turn to a low heat to simmer
  6. Boil your pasta according to the instructions for your chosen pasta
  7. Taste the sauce, adding more salt or pepper if needed, keep an eye to ensure it simmers but doesn't boil, add a splash of water if needs be to keep it at the right temperature and consistency
  8. Once the pasta is cooked, drain and add to the sauce and mix well
  9. Have a taste, add some more seasoning if needed
  10. If you like it, mix in a pinch of nutritional yeast before serving
  11. Serve and enjoy!

Comments

  1. I love arrabiata sauce! I've had success making my own marinara in the past- I will have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts